Tech Day

When I first started pulling together idea’s for my solo performance, never did I envisage such a wide use of technology. For a technical novice such as myself, tech day was therefore quite daunting as I worried whether the images I had in my head would be possible in practice and how they would become reality. Luckily with my wonderful tech team I felt in safe hands and was allowed to experiment with different lighting states in order to find the effect I desired.

The first challenged was the task of creating a pair of moving curtains for the start of my performance. For the start of my performance I will be stood in front of the curtains with the studio hidden behind. The curtains had to be able to open as if by themselves so the tech team devised a pully system attached to a scaffolding which can be operated at the side. There were initial issues with too much friction but through experimentation, the curtains were able to be both opened and closed through a one sided pully. The bright floral print works well and compliments the area in which the audience will be sitting, allowing a flow between the outside and inside of the studio.

photo 1 (1) photo 2 (1)

(Tech day,  17/5/2014)

Lighting is also a huge factor in my piece as it signifies the change in mood and reflects whether that moment is dominated by the public or private self. For my public self, the lights are bright and colorful with mixtures of pink and yellow flooding the acting space to create a positive and happy atmosphere. This will contrast with the dull, harsh lighting of the private self. At the climatic part of the performance I will walk backwards through slots of harsh, blue light feeding through gaps in the tabs. This effect proved to be successful in creating the dark, eerie atmosphere I am aiming for at this point of the performance. All the while the projection of myself will be played and through video experiments, I will be able to interact with the projection through song, harmonies and physical movements.